
Wow, simply amazing book and a life changing book for me. I have always been a daily milk drinker throughout my childhood and adult life. Being a "good parent" I encourage my children to drink milk everyday. So when I heard there was a book against milk I was very intrigued but hesitant thinking this is some vegan, "tree hugging" rant.
Isn't milk supposed to be good for us and doesn't it make our bones healthy? Even into the third chapter I was still thinking this can't be right...milk is good for us. I have been throughly brainwashed or "whitewashed" to think this by all the "Got Milk" ads and the multi-billion dollar milk industry. The author, Joseph Keon sites a multitude of articles and peer-reviewed medical journals and certain points of the book it is daunting to see the risks of milk. The sheer amount of research and overwhelming documentation against the benefits of milk and the risks and complications with drinking milk is disturbing. It's a milk fallacy that we have all grown up believing that we need to drink milk to be healthy. We are the only animals that drink milk after infancy. Even though we drink more milk than most countries we have a higher incidence of hip fractures. Milk increases the risks of obesity, diabetes and many other conditions. This book has not only changed my health but the health of my family. This book is a must read for everyone who drinks milk.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Reading "Whitewash" was like being kicked in the head, but in a good way. It never occurred to me that milk wasn't the perfect food, that milk wasn't the basis for health and happiness and the American way.
Mr. Keon's book is thorough, methodical, and just plain makes sense. I was initially concerned when a friend suggested it me, thinking it was just another one of those perennial crazy diet scares. But this is lucid, not hysterical, and indisputable. It is told in the calm, commonsense fashion of someone who has the facts and, to borrow a word from the subtitle, the truth behind them.
Why, indeed, are we brought up to believe that we need to suckle from the teat of another species? This revelation was like a slap, like I'd looked at a glass of milk and saw it for the first time. I mean, if I was in a diner, ordered apple pie, and was given a glass of orangutan milk, I'd be outraged. But why? Orangutans are at least closer to us--genetically speaking--than a cow. That simple test shows how ludicrous the very founding myth of the dairy industry is. And that's all it is: "Milk is good for you" is a myth.
If you still need more convincing let "Whitewash" show you what's in milk--antibiotics, bovine growth hormones, rocket fuel, and (this was the clincher for me, if I needed one by this time, if I hadn't already been clinched) pus. And that's not even delving into the treatment of cows in the dairy industry, the forced impregnations to keep the cows lactating, the disgusting living conditions, and the horrifying brutality.
This book is indeed essential reading for every cow-suckling human on planet. But be warned--it will change your life.
___________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:
Ok, so I know the PERFECT gift to buy you guys for a reward after completing your marathon this summer: some Baby Gaga icecream.
Lol, you have to check this out Nik; it's disgusting! I would totally dry heave.
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Shop-sells-breast-milk-ice-cream-London-restaurant- Icecreamists-Baby-Gaga.html
I've actually heard of that stuff. Gross!
Post a Comment