Sunday, June 5, 2011

Confession Take 2 Plus Other Stuff

Okay, so I have been really bad this week as far as following P90X goes. Actually, I didn't do a darn video all week. Matt is leaving for Boston for 3 weeks here in less than a week (we just found out last Friday), Lauren is out of school and I'm working full days when Matt is off and taking full days off while Matt is working. To be honest, it has been a nice, relaxing week. I've gotten a ton of stuff done, read a lot, napped a little and I'm still working on some projects around the house. I haven't completely ditched the workouts though, I did manage to make it to a body flow class on Monday and took the dogs for a couple walks throughout the week.
I've also decided that I don't particularly like "training" or competing. I'm happy to watch the improvements I see in myself when I work out, but I don't need to enter a race or compete in a challenge to prove something to myself. Matt and I still plan on doing the Warrior Dash and believe me, I'm going to be prepared for it, because...well, that's the way I am, but I'm not lovin' the strict routine. Some days I feel like running, other days lifting, and other days like body flow or dance class, but I want to do it when I want to do it.
Monday is the official start to my summer break. I will have everyday off until August 3rd and I can't wait. Lauren and I have some fun things planned while Matt is gone and we are both taking part in the County Library's Summer Reading Program. I have 4 books I'm reading now.
I'm just about finished with Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet", which I love. I've done a lot of technical reading lately, but this one has basically the same info but more laid back. It's an easy read and she is touching a bit on a topic that I've read a little about, but she does a good job explaining her vegan macrobiotic diet. It still seems weird to me to get up and eat vegetables for breakfast, but I'm considering giving it a try. From everything I've read and everyone I've heard of that has done it, they swear by it. Who knows...
I'm also reading "The Face On Your Plate", "The Jungle" and "Eating Animals". I have to turn in "The Face on Your Plate" very soon, so I need to get it finished. "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair is old and is a story (something I haven't read in a long time) so I'm having a hard time "getting into it" and "Eating Animals" is actually entertaining and thought provoking. I'm only a little way into it but it has definitely given me something to think about.
Lauren is signed up for a week long volleyball camp, a week long Girls on the Run Camp and a week long Adventure camp through the Parks and Rec department. She is super excited and it gives her something to look forward to.
Another exciting thing happening is our first CSA pickup for the 2011 season starts Saturday. I can't wait. I swear groceries have nearly doubled in price over the last two months and I'm looking forward to eating fresh, local, organic produce that I have already paid for.
Also, there is this great program called Bountiful Baskets Co-op that we have in GJ. It is all over the western U.S., you just have to get online and see if they have it near you and if not, you can sign up to be the coordinator and start a sight in your city. But essentially, you pay online for a basket of produce and you pick it up on the weekend. It is $15.00 for a basket. The basket that I saw on my friends table had two heads of romaine lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, mangoes, pineapple, onions, strawberries, carrots, apricots and a bunch of other stuff. It completely filled a paper box. I'm signing up for the first time on Monday and picking up for the first time on Saturday, so I will let you know how it goes.
Well, that's about it for now. I'll let you know how the week goes.

3 comments:

the White's said...

Okay, Im not totally giving up the computer, I have to still read blogs! :) I need to find out more info from you about the basket coop thing, it sounds fantastic, and also about the adventure camp Lauren is going to...Sam is driving me crazy wanting to sign up for it too, and I dont know which one it is or if Lauren might not want her to be taggin along :) Ill call you later.

Sam and Kelly said...

Hey Nik I got your text from Sam's phone last week. Yes, I had heard about the basket co op; they have one here in Rexburg. The funny thing is is that I was actually thinking about it the same week you texted me! Thanks so much!

The Cook Clan said...

I'm with ya on the strict routine =) I like to be able to do what I want if and when I want too =) I'd probably be a lot skinnier if i was more disciplined but oh well =) I hope your summer is fantastic!! =)